High Net Worth Divorce (High Income Divorce)
Tampa Family Attorney S. David Anton, Esq.
S. David Anton, Esq. of the Anton Legal Group has a tremendous amount of experience with analysing, mediating, negotiating and, when necessary, litigating high net worth and high income divorces. While some of these cases are very complex, many are not. A large net worth can be held in a few simple assets or a large number of complex, encumbered, minority owned, and hard to value assets. Likewise, a large income can be earned in easy to understand forms, such as simple W-2 income or it can be earned in a variety of complex and easy to obscure forms. In addition to having a law degree, Mr. Anton also has a business degree with a major in economics and a minor in accounting. The Anton Legal Group both has an accountant on staff and has a close working relationship with two of the finest divorce forensic (expert witness) accounting firms in the Tampa Bay area. There is absolutely no shortage of financial and accounting accumin or ability at the Anton Legal Group.
Complex net worth divorces often include some of the following items or charicteristics (see if any of this short list sounds familar):
- One or more business entities such as corporations, partnerships, limited partnerships, limited liability companies, trusts, real estate investment trusts (REIT’s) and sole propriatorships
- Family owned businesses, with or without partners
- Real estate holdings, brokerage accounts, oil and gas leases, and other intangible investments
- Rental real estate properties
- Complex pensions (whether the defined benefit or defined contribution types), profit sharing plans, individual retirement accounts, 401-K accounts, and military or other government pensions
- Investment which allow the owner to defer compensation or take depreciation as a deduction
- Debts which are questionable, encumber multiple assets, or which can be easily increased through additional borrowing
- Assets or debts which were earned, received, or accrued, in whole or in part, prior to the marriage or assets which were received by one party alone as gifts or inheretences during the marriage
- Assets which are difficult to understand or which mysteriously dissappear or reduce in value just prior to or during the divorce
- Liabilities which mysterously arise or grow just prior to or during a divorce
- Financial statements provided to lenders or anyone else which list assets that are considerably greater than is being disclosed during a divorce
- Net worth senarios which are difficult to understand or which are subject to great swings in value very quickly
Complex income divorces often include some of the following items or characteristcs:
- Income which fluctuates greatly from year to year
- Income which is largly derived from investments as opposed to working or employment
- Income which is difficult to understand or explain
- Income which can be left undistributed in a business entity
- Income which can be delayed at the discretion of the recipient
- Income which can be shifted to another such as a family member, business partner, significant other or friend
- Income which can be reduced for tax purposes by deducting depreciation of a capital asset or deducting questionable business expenses
If you have a complex financial case then it is likely that the issues of equitable distribution (division of assets and liabilities) and alimony will will take center stage in the divorce process. Whether you are a savy business person or an unemployed home maker without business experience or accumin, you need a lawyer who can spot problems and analyse your financial issues. Thereafter, you may need a legal team adept at finances and accounting practices who can roll up their sleeves and substantiate what exists as well as prove it, if necessary. Often times being able to secure and clearly describe a complex financial case’s net worth and income significantly speeds up settlement and lessens litigation. Lots of money and stress can often be avoided because most reasonable and intelligent minds will agree to a predictable result if fighting makes no sense.
PLEASE REMEMBER THESE TWO QUOTES:
- KNOWLEDGE IS POWER AND OFTEN LEADS TO BETTER AND QUICKER RESULTS.
- IF YOU WANT TO COMPLAIN TO SOMEONE, CHOOSE SOMEONE WHO CAN HELP.
If you are the spouse of a high or complex net worth or a high or complex income family who is going through a divorce CONTACT US today to assure that your rights are analysed and protected.